Oven mitts are essential kitchen tools that protect your hands from burns while handling hot items in the oven or on the stove. However, with regular use, oven mitts can become dirty and smelly, which can affect their effectiveness. In this article, we will show you how to wash oven mitts and keep them clean and fresh.
Why You Should Wash Your Oven Mitts
Before we dive into the steps of washing your oven mitts, let’s discuss why it’s important to do so. Over time, oven mitts can accumulate dirt, grime, and bacteria from the kitchen, which can make them unsanitary to use. Additionally, if oven mitts are not washed regularly, they can develop a foul odor that may be difficult to remove.
What You’ll Need
Before you begin washing your oven mitts, you’ll need a few supplies:
- Mild detergent
- Baking soda
- Warm water
- A bucket or sink
- A washing machine (optional)
How to Wash Oven Mitts by Hand
If you prefer to wash your oven mitts by hand, follow these simple steps:
- Fill a bucket or sink with warm water and add a small amount of mild detergent.
- Submerge your oven mitts in the soapy water and use your hands to agitate them gently.
- Rinse the oven mitts thoroughly with warm water to remove all soap residue.
- Fill the bucket or sink with clean water and add a cup of white vinegar.
- Submerge the oven mitts in the vinegar solution and let them soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse the oven mitts thoroughly with warm water to remove all vinegar residue.
- Hang the oven mitts to dry in a well-ventilated area.
How to Wash Oven Mitts in the Washing Machine
If you prefer to use a washing machine to clean your oven mitts, follow these steps:
- Place your oven mitts in the washing machine with a small amount of mild detergent.
- Add a cup of baking soda to the washing machine to help remove any odors.
- Set the washing machine to a gentle cycle with warm water.
- Once the washing cycle is complete, remove the oven mitts from the machine and hang them to dry in a well-ventilated area.
Additional Tips for Washing Oven Mitts
Here are some additional tips to help you keep your oven mitts clean:
- Wash your oven mitts after every use to prevent the buildup of dirt and bacteria.
- Avoid using fabric softener when washing your oven mitts, as it can reduce their effectiveness.
- If your oven mitts have tough stains, use a stain remover before washing them.
- Never put your oven mitts in the dryer, as the heat can damage the material and reduce their effectiveness.
- If your oven mitts are made of silicone, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for washing.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your oven mitts clean and fresh, ensuring that they remain effective in protecting your hands from burns. Whether you prefer to wash your oven mitts by hand or in the washing machine, make sure to follow the tips and guidelines we’ve provided to keep them in top condition.
1. How often should you wash your oven mitts?
You should wash your oven mitts after every use to prevent the buildup of dirt and bacteria.
2. Can you put oven mitts in the dryer?
No, you should never put your oven mitts in the dryer, as the heat can damage the material and reduce their effectiveness.
3. Can you use fabric softener when washing oven mitts?
No, you should avoid using fabric softener when washing your oven mitts, as it can reduce their effectiveness.