A real fur coat is a luxurious and expensive investment that requires proper care and maintenance to keep it looking its best. While many people believe that fur coats can only be dry cleaned, it is possible to wash them in a washing machine with the right techniques and precautions. In this article, we will guide you through the steps of washing a real fur coat in a washing machine, along with some frequently asked questions about this process.
Can you wash a real fur coat in a washing machine?
Yes, it is possible to wash a real fur coat in a washing machine. However, it is important to note that not all fur coats can be washed in this way, and some may require professional cleaning. It is essential to check the care label on your fur coat to determine whether it is safe to wash in a washing machine or not.
What materials do you need to wash a real fur coat in a washing machine?
To wash a real fur coat in a washing machine, you will need:
- A front-loading washing machine
- A mild detergent
- A fabric softener
- A clean, dry towel
Step-by-step guide for washing a real fur coat in a washing machine
Follow these steps to wash your real fur coat in a washing machine:
- Check the care label on your fur coat to ensure it is safe to wash in a washing machine. If the label recommends dry cleaning only, do not attempt to wash it in a washing machine.
- Remove any loose dirt and debris from your fur coat with a soft-bristled brush or a vacuum cleaner. Be gentle and avoid pulling or stretching the fur.
- Close all zippers, snaps, and buttons on your fur coat to prevent them from snagging or catching during the wash cycle.
- Place your fur coat in a large mesh laundry bag or pillowcase to protect it from the agitator and minimize the risk of damage.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent to the washing machine, following the instructions on the label. Do not use bleach or fabric softener at this stage.
- Select the delicate or wool cycle on your washing machine, using cold water. Do not use hot water, as it can damage the fur and cause it to shrink or mat.
- Start the wash cycle and let the machine run through its full cycle, including the rinse cycle.
- Once the wash cycle is complete, remove your fur coat from the laundry bag or pillowcase and gently shake it to remove any excess water. Do not wring or twist the fur, as this can cause damage.
- Lay your fur coat flat on a clean, dry towel and roll it up to remove any remaining water. Repeat this process with a second dry towel if necessary.
- Hang your fur coat on a padded hanger and allow it to air dry in a well-ventilated room, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Do not use a hairdryer or heat lamp to speed up the drying process.
- Once your fur coat is completely dry, use a soft-bristled brush or a wide-tooth comb to gently fluff up the fur and restore its natural texture.
- Store your fur coat in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight or moisture. Avoid folding or crushing the fur, as this can cause permanent creases and damage.
Can you use fabric softener on a real fur coat?
Yes, you can use fabric softener on a real fur coat. However, it is important to dilute it with water and apply it sparingly, as too much fabric softener can weigh down the fur and reduce its volume.
Can you put a real fur coat in the dryer?
No, you should never put a real fur coat in the dryer. The high heat can damage the fur and cause it to shrink or mat, and the tumbling action can cause the fur to become tangled or matted.
How often should you wash a real fur coat?
It is recommended to wash a real fur coat once a year, or as needed if it becomes soiled or stained. Over-washing can damage the fur and cause it to lose its natural oils, leading to dryness and brittleness.
Washing a real fur coat in a washing machine is a viable option if done correctly. By following the steps outlined in this article and taking the necessary precautions, you can safely clean your fur coat and maintain its luxurious appearance for years to come.